Saturday, October 25, 2008

Losing ground



This was the week from hell at work - too many things to do, not enough time, and add to that my husband's first week home with 9-month-old Thea and her sleep aversion didn't go so well. But, the living room with its new layout and storage, survived unscathed. As did the newly reorganized desk area.

The rest of the house... not so much. As a result, as I was putting the kiddo to sleep tonight, I had a clear shot of encroaching chaos - there were clothes all over her dresser, stuff in the hall outside her door from a house guest, a basket of items confiscated from Liam's floor due to his inability to clean them up, two baskets of laundry, a pile of pants that are too big, a home-made drum that needs to leave the house, and a pile of dress-up clothes from a recent girls' night out. Not so good. I panicked just a bit. But I'm feeling much better now.

I think that's because I know I can get back on top of it, and once I do, it will only take a certain amount of effort to keep it going, to maintain. The only thing is, you have to maintain - every day, without fail - or it creeps back up and there you are again.

I'm going to Anchorage in a couple weeks and I've been thinking a lot about how to enjoy the experience without filling my car and home with things I don't need or love. There are things I want to get, but if I am careful and focus on those things I can identify now as apposed to being swept up in consumerism, I think I can do it. I'd rather spend the money on a nice meal or a better hotel than blow it on stuff I don't need.

No comments: